Qatar Airways Economy Class Experience

August 26, 2016

I recently had a flight with Qatar Airways and I'm telling you, this was my first in flying in a flag-carrier aircraft. I mostly do my flights with small-scale and low-cost airlines so being in this kind of an aircraft kinda gave me a zing, even just from an economy class. 

Booking
We, I mean my sister, booked my flight to Jakarta under Qatar Airways, 14 days before the flight. And I think, the process was pretty much the same as with all the other airlines. After getting the e-ticket, I was now able to manage my booking including seat selection and meal preferences. As always, I picked the window seat and from the meal selection, I chose the low-fat meal. It could have been better if they also indicated some possible meal that will be included in a particular meal selection.

Web Check-in
2 days before my actual flight, I opted to do web check-in because of its convenience. I was asked the basics - personal infos, passport and some special preferences. After completing it all out, you have a choice of having it be sent to your email or sms. I had it sent in email, so that I can easily print it. I'd rather have a hard copy of my boarding pass rather than rely fully on the screen of my phone.

Baggage Drop-in
Just as I reached Hamad International Airport (HIA), I saw that my flight was delayed for almost 2 hours. I don't really have much of choice but to wait since there's nothing I can do about it. As I was comfortably sitting and waiting, I heard these two, I assume, Americans talking regarding their confusing delayed flight. He was showing the Qatar Airway's online flight status to the other which, to my curiosity and a bit of nosiness, made me to check mine too. To my surprise, I too may be having some confusing delayed flight myself. It was indicated in the site that the flight was still on schedule, while on the HIA flight status board, it was delayed. 

So I decided to talk to one of the people of Qatar Airways. They told me that the flight was indeed delayed and boarding would start at 10:00. And then she checked-in my baggage and gave me my boarding pass with an indicated boarding time - 10:00. The lady at the counter was very friendly and approachable, and she even reminded me of the rules for the security check which includes having my liquids (less than 100ml are allowed) be placed in a clear resealable pack and must put it out of my hand-carry bag and place it separately on a bin, together with my electronics during the security scanning.

Boarding
I was finished with the immigration and security check by 8:45, so I decided to roam around the departure area for some good eats. But then I heard a crew shouting "flight towards Jakarta". At first, I had not noticed it since boarding was not until 10 and it's not even 9 yet, but then again it shouted. And I stood up like a soldier being commanded by his superior. I went up to him and showed him my boarding pass indicating that boarding was not until 10. But he told me that the flight was not 11:00 but was still 9:20! He was practically telling me to go hurry or else I might miss my flight. To think that boarding gates will be closed 20mins before the flight and I've only got less than 10 minutes to be at the gate! I ran like hell, like one of those amazing race contestants, hoping to get there on time. And these crew, I passed on by, kept on shouting about the Qatar Airway's 9:20 Jakarta flight which made me really really anxious. After being somewhat lost on where to find the gate C28, I finally got there just on time-8:58; only to learn that the flight was really delayed! What. The. Efff! Seriously man, you people should coordinate yourselves! Phew! I came there literally panting. The good thing though, instead of 11:00, it was moved to 10:15. But still, I was pissed and I didn't even got a chance to have a breakfast! 

Boarding started at 9:50. As per protocol, the crew checked the passports before letting us in the aircraft. We must first ride their shuttle bus which brought us directly to the aircraft. It was nice of them not having to shove too many passengers in the shuttle bus. 
In the plane, flight stewardess checked the boarding pass and told us passengers on to which side of the aircraft we should go for our seat.

Entertainment
I was in awe. I was literally a dinosaur into this new technology! Seriously! This was my first time to experience an individual in-flight entertainment (IFE) system which was basically called the Oryx Entertainment! Each of the economy class passengers got a 10.6 touchscreen monitor with lots of entertaining selections to choose from. Along with it were touchscreen remote for accessible control and an unconventional two-pronged headphones. 


Another feature with this IFE was the map, where you can check the status and information of your ongoing flight.


I was also surprised to find a USB port which I thought first was only for reading a USB or hard drive, but then I learned it can also be used as charging port! Thanks to this, my phone's battery was revived and spared.

Another great advancement of this aircraft was its in-flight WiFi, which was too pricey, I believe. But I gave in to it just so I can shoutout to my friends that I am posting from a flying aircraft. Sorry for being such an attention-seeker. Hahaha! Anyway, a 5mb internet costs $2 and 12mb internet costs $5 and then each succeeding excess of 100kb would cost $0.05. To avail this feature, just signup and enter your credit card details. Make sure your phone is still on flight mode. I availed the 12mb internet which gave me enough time to fulfill my narcissistic goal. Hahaha!

Facilities
And to my surprise, the aircraft did not have the conventional sliding window but instead they've got this state of the art glass window that has an automatic  button controlling the shades, from clear to dark blue, in 6 different levels. The darkest shade provided reduced glaring while can still be able to see outside.
I am not a fan of their seat because it does not recline too much unlike with the other airlines I've been into. And leg room didn't have enough space as to what I've expected from an aircraft this big.
I have not had a chance to visit the lavatory since I didn't need to the entire flight. That's the thing with us nurses, we can survive 12 hours without even peeing! hahaha

Food
They served two meals during the entire flight. First was I think about 3-4 hours from our departure, and then the second one was two hours before the estimated time of arrival. As you may have remembered, I chose the low-fat meal on my meal preferences not even knowing what food I would get.
And then I was served with these very unfamiliar food, and this was my so called low fat meal. Irregardless, I still ate almost all of it since I was way too hungry to be picky. By then, I learned that I was served by some kind of steamed chicken with some hint of ginger, a coleslaw of pickles and corns, and 1/2 cup of rice for the main dish. It was a bit bland for me, so I have to add salt and pepper to it. As for the side dish, I only recognized the red beans, the white ones looked and tasted like nuts but definitely not. The dessert was a mixture of chopped melons. My stomach was satisfied, but my taste-buds were not which made me realize that low-fat meal will never be my meal.

For the second meal, I was first asked if I 'll still have a low fat meal and I immediately answered no. Hahah! I learned from my mistake already. This time, I was served with a curry chicken rice for main; mixture of mung beans, some onion, carrots, corn and a some kind of a yellow rice as a side-dish; and a triple layered chocolate cake with raspberry filling and top frosting. Both my taste-buds and stomach were rejoicing with my second dish, especially with the dessert.

All of these meals were served with bread and butter, water and a drink of your choice, which was cola for me.

Amenities.
Awaiting each passengers were a pillow, a pre-packed blanket and a little amenity pouch which included an eye mask, a pair of socks, earplugs, toothbrush and toothpaste. 
It was a good thing they have provided these beforehand, unlike others where it's per request only. The pillow may not be the fluffiest one out there but this was better than nothing. And for such a cold-intolerant person like me, their blanket was good add-on. I pretty much overused the eyemask provided, which made my sleep a bearable one. The socks provided were in half-knee length and honestly not the best quality.


------------------------------------
For a consistent economy class passenger, even with some confusions during the boarding time, this flight may be the most entertaining and comfortable one I've been into. I just hope I get a chance to fly on a business class one day. Hahaha!

You Might Also Like

0 Comments